Help 2020-09-30T16:09:38+00:00

Do I have a leak? How do I recognise if I have a leak?

Heating system losing pressure:

Pressure relief pipe:
Is your combination boiler or pressurised heating system losing pressure? If so, then there may be a simple cause of this!

  • You should have a small 15mm copper pipe that comes through the wall to the exterior of the property. This is called the pressure relief pipe. If this is dripping, then this is likely to be the cause of the pressure loss.
  • This can be caused by the expansion vessel within the boiler not holding its pressure and needs re-pressurising, or a replacement of the pressure relief valve.
  • A plumbing / heating engineer will be required to repair these issues.

Condense pipe:

  • There should be a small 20mm white plastic pipe coming through the wall or into a waste pipe close by.
  • To check this you need to make sure the heating is cold and hasn’t been in use for a few hours. If water is constantly coming from here, then the heat exchanger within the boiler has split / failed and will require replacing.

If none of the above are apparent, then the likelihood is that you have a leak. WE CAN HELP WITH ALL THE ABOVE ISSUES.

Water meter spinning or high water bill:

If you have had a high-water bill or your water meter is constantly spinning with nothing on within the house, then a few simple checks can be made and one of the following could be the cause.

  • Overflowing loft tanks or toilets.
  • Dripping taps / showers.

Make sure no taps or showers within the property are slightly running or dripping and no washing machines or dishwashers are in use and check meter again for movement.

How to check overflowing toilets, taps, showers and loft tanks:

You may have a toilet that has an internal or external over flow. If you have an external overflow, then you will see a white pipe coming out from the external wall behind the toilet. If this is dripping, then this may be the cause.

For an internal overflowing toilet, you may be able to see water trickling down the back of the pan. If this is the case then the toilet could be the issue. You may have a small isolation valve on the copper pipe to the toilet, this can be isolated using a flat headed screwdriver and turned so it’s horizontal. Then then the water meter should be checked to see if the movement is still apparent.

The same principle can be used with loft tanks. If water is again coming from a white overflow pipe from the soffits of the roof, then a faulty ball valve is the likely cause and will need to be replaced.

If the movement is still apparent, then a leak is likely to be present internally or externally underground. If this is the case then WE CAN HELP!