There are several benefits to having a swimming pool installed at your home, whether it’s in your garden or a pool house. This pool will provide endless hours of fun and relaxation, and if it’s heated, you can enjoy using it all year round.
However, like any other facility, your swimming pool requires regular maintenance. One issue that is a significant concern for pool owners is water leaks. Undetected leaks not only waste water but can also compromise the integrity of your pool structure and nearby landscaping.
In this post, we have delved into the common causes of water leaks in swimming pools, methods to detect leaks and the best ways to repair them.
Common Causes of Water Leaks in Swimming Pools
A well-designed and professionally installed swimming pool will stand the test of time. When you carry out regular preventive maintenance and cleaning, you can enjoy it for many years to come. Yet, water leaks are still a problem you might face and there are a few common causes of leaks in swimming pools;
- Water Pipes – Leaks often occur in the pipes that transport water to and from your pool. Over time, these pipes can corrode, crack or get damaged, leading to leaks.
- Skimmers – Swimming pool skimmers help in removing dirt and debris from the pool. A malfunctioning skimmer could cause water leaks.
- Sump Issues – A sump is a key component of your swimming pool. Any issues with the sump pump can result in water leaks.
- Integrity Issues – Structural problems with your swimming pool, such as cracks in the walls or floor, can also be the cause of leaks.
How to Detect Water Leaks
Detecting the source of a water leak is often a complex task that demands a combination of expertise and advanced testing methods. It’s not something that should be left to DIY methods or inexperienced hands. Here at Absolute Leak Detection, we use a range of the most advanced methods to pinpoint the exact location of a leak;
- Pressure Testing – This involves isolating various sections of your pool’s plumbing and pressurising them to identify if any sections are leaking.
- Tracer Gas Testing – In this method, a non-toxic, odourless gas is introduced into the pool system. The gas will escape from the leaking area, making it easier to detect.
- Acoustic Profiling – Highly sensitive microphones are used to listen for sounds of escaping water. This method is particularly useful for detecting leaks in underground pipes that aren’t easily accessible.
If required, we can use a combination of these methods to find the cause of your swimming pool leak. Sometimes, hidden water leaks can be challenging to detect, but using our non-invasive methods we can find and fix the leak in no time.
Repairing Swimming Pool Leaks
Once the source of the leak has been identified, the next step is to undertake any required repairs. Unlike many contractors who only detect the problem, at Absolute Leak Detection we also specialise in the excavation and repair of leaking pipework. Our approach includes;
- Locating the Leak – Using advanced detection methods, we can pinpoint the exact location of the leak, so we know where the repairs are required.
- Excavation – The affected area will be carefully excavated to reach the leaking pipe, causing minimal damage and disruption to the surrounding area.
- Repair or Replacement – Depending on the extent of the damage, the leaking pipe will either be repaired or replaced.
- Quality Check – After the repair work, another round of leak tests will be conducted to ensure that the problem has been fully resolved.
Looking for Experienced Leak Detection Plumbers?
If you have noticed water pressure problems, water levels dropping or water damage around your swimming pool, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our experts at Absolute Leak Detection. Our leak detection plumbers have the skill, knowledge and experience required to provide you with the precise leak detection and repairs you need.
Over the years, we have assisted our customers with a vast range of domestic leaks and commercial leaks, and we have a solution to almost any problem we come across. When it comes to finding a leak, there is no better company to contact. Water leaks in swimming pools can be daunting, but with our experts on your side, you can trust the problem will be resolved in no time without causing too much damage to your property.
Contact our leak detection company on 01702 842 944 today for immediate assistance.